Straight off the bat, I love lobster, actually I love shell fish in general. What I don't love is paying an arm and a leg (or in some cases giving a 'pint' of blood).
When the opportunity presented itself to get my hands on some Canadian lobsters I jumped at the chance to make something I've been promising someone for the longest time that I would try to make: Lobster Rolls. Imagine sweet and tender chunks of steamed/poached lobster lightly coated in mayonnaise and chives hiding in a buttery bun.. YES!
Here are the steps for you to make lobster rolls in your own home! It's not as hard as you think.. Trust me!
Hot dog buns / brioche
1. Put your live lobster(s) in the freezer for at least an hour to put it to sleep
2. Boil a pot of slightly salted water and cook your lobster for 8-10 mins
3. Remove your lobster to cool
4. Remove the meat from the tail and pincers (retain the shells if you want to make lobster bisque!!!!)
5. Cut lobster into 2cm pieces
6. Add salt, mayonnaise and chives to the lobster pieces and mix well. Refrigerate.
7. Slice the TOP of your hotdog bun
8. Coat the sides and base of the bun with butter and fry until crisp
9. Add lobster meat to the bun, add a sprinkle of paprika (optional) and serve
Be generous with your lobster stuffing.. It's a LOBSTER roll after all!