I’ve had the craving for Char Siew rice (BBQ Pork Rice) for little over a week now during my lunch hours; but I’ve never been able to statisfy the craving due to all the stalls I’ve wanted to eat at having long queues. So I decided to take it upon myself to try making my own char siew at home.
I managed to pull this recipe from the internet; revised it partially, so here it is my interpretation of making char siew rice.
- 2 tablespoon of Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Kecap Manis
- 1 teaspoon White Pepper powder
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- 2 tablespoon Sugar
- 2 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese wine
- 2 cups Water
- Add oil to a heated wok
- Add pork and after 5 minutes, add all ingredients into the wok and simmer for 40 minutes or till the pork is tender enough.
- Remove most of the sauce.
- Caramelize the meat in medium heat. Add some honey. About a minute or two per side.
- After the Char Siew is done, coat lightly with some honey
That’s it, you’re done.. how easy was that?