My Elastic Pants Headlines

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Easy Peasy Cooking

One of the best things that I love about my Dutch oven is that you can put anything in it to braise and it comes out perfect! I had on hand two lamb shanks that I wanted to braise for dinner, here's a simple recipe that turns your boring old lamb shank into something deliciously mouth watering and perfect for those cold chilly days!

Braised Lamb Shanks

INGREDIENTS

2 lamb shanks
salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onions,peeled and chopped
1 large carrots,peeled and cut into 1/4 inch rounds
3 cloves garlic, crushed
350ml bottle red wine
1 tin whole peeled tomatoes with juice
150ml chicken stock
150 ml beef stock
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

DIRECTIONS

1. Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, fry shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
2. Transfer shanks to a plate.
3. Add onions, carrots and garlic to the pan and fry until golden brown, about 10 minutes.
4. Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken and beef stock. Season with rosemary and thyme.
5. Return shanks to the pan, pressing down to submerge. Bring to a boil, then place the pot in the oven set at 140 degrees for at least 2 hours
6. Remove from oven, remove cover and simmer about 20 minutes longer.
7. Transfer shanks to a platter, place in a warm oven. Boil juices in pan until thickened, about 15 minutes. Spoon over shanks.


I coupled my shanks with some oven roasted French beans and some corn. Mash potatoes would have been ideal but I'm trying to cut down on my carbs :)

Bon appetite

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails