@Sin Ming Bakery / Cookhouse / Whatever
I admit it, I have a very sweet tooth. It has been a while since I’ve made these caramel slices in a very long time, after reading some of my posts from my old xanga page; I’m tempted to make these all over again!
- 112g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 56g (2/3 cup) desiccated coconut
- 100g (2/3 cup) self-raising flour
- 85g butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius (160 degrees Celsius fan-forced).
- Grease a 20cm square cake pan and line the base and sides of the pan with baking paper.
- Stir brown sugar, coconut, and flour together in a large bowl until well combined. Add butter and mix until well combined.
- Firmly press mixture into prepared pan using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and slightly risen.
- Set base aside to cool for about 10-20 minutes (while making caramel). Leave oven on.
Ingredients Caramel Filling
- 30g butter
- 40ml (2 tablespoons) golden syrup
- 395g (1 can) sweetened condensed milk
- Place butter and golden syrup in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When butter has melted,
- add condensed milk. Stir constantly over medium heat for about 9-12 minutes, until caramel thickens.
- Gently spread caramel evenly over base. Return to oven for a further 10-12 minutes (a 1/2cm border of lightly browned
- caramel should form around the edges of the slice).
- Allow slice to cool to room temperature.
- 150g milk or dark chocolate, melted (we use Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate)
- Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat, stirring frequently. Alternatively, melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave. Spread melted chocolate over caramel.
- Refrigerate slice until chocolate is just set, about 20-30 minutes. Remove slice from pan and cut into pieces.