My Elastic Pants Headlines

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Duck!

@ Sin Ming Cook House / Bakery / Whatever

IMG_0427 (Copy)
I have a bad habit (or so my wife tells me); I buy things to cook / eat and they end up living in the fridge/freezer for the longest amount of time.  So I had a whole duck sitting in there ‘sleeping’, then one fine day I had the inspiration to try making roast duck (my original plan was to try and make a red duck curry but well that came and went.
I Googled around and found a interesting recipe for honey orange duck, so with the intention of cooking I set about sourcing for my ingredients and low and behold Honey Orange Duck was born.

Ingredients
  • 1 whole duck
  • 3 whole star anise
  • 1 sprig parsley
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons sherry wine
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ginger juice
  • water (enough to cover duck)
Directions
  1. Boil water in a large kettle
  2. Place duck, anise and parsley in boiling water; cook 10 minutes
  3. Remove duck from water; let cool on rack for 2 hours
  4. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
  5. Bake duck on rack in a roasting pan for 1 1/2 hours
  6. Mix orange juice, soy sauce, honey, sherry, salt and ginger juice
  7. Pour half of mixture into cavity and brush remaining mixture on duck
  8. Bake 30-40 minutes more; basting every 10 minutes during the last 1/2 hour of baking
  9. Transfer duck to a platter
  10. Garnish with orange slices
While the dish was absolutely yummy; 1 whole duck is always way too much for two people.  So with the left overs I made myself a sandwich for the next day.
IMG_0428 (Copy)
Bon Appétit – Sidney
del.icio.us Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails