Sin Ming Cookhouse \ Bakery \ Whatever
I’ve been wanting to try this recipe for the longest time: Deep Fried Buttermilk Chicken. Without a deep fryer I’ve been rather hesitant to try and shallow fry these tasty morsels; however thanks to mom (the ever generous soul that she is) we’ve temporarily borrowed her Philips Air Fryer.
Here’s the recipe that I used to make these little bits of heaven; they really were a synch to make!Ingredients
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, bruised and skins removed
- 1 tablespoon crushed peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2-3 cups of flour
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- Place the chicken drumsticks in a large freezer bag, and add the buttermilk and 1/4 cup of oil.
- Add the bruised garlic cloves to the bag with the crushed peppercorns and salt.
- Sprinkle in the ground cumin and finally add the maple syrup, and then squish everything in the freezer bag around to mix the marinade and coat the chicken.
- Leave the buttermilk marinated chicken in the fridge ideally overnight or out of the fridge for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- In a shallow tin add 2-3 cups of plain flour, a pinch of salt and pepper and 1 tablespoon of paprika
- Take a drumstick at a time, shake of excess butter milk and dust in flour mixture
- Deep fry in hot oil at 180 – 190 degrees Celsius / 180 degrees Celsius in your Air Fryer for 15 – 20 minutes
I had these little babies with some salad.. you know have to balance out the yin with the yang, but I have to say the drum sticks were knee slappingly delicious; the coating was paper thin and when you bit into each piece you get a warm ripple of buttermilk infused chicken juice.. dare I say “yee-har”!