My Elastic Pants Headlines

Friday, July 8, 2011

A Trip to the Beach

Leong Kee (Klang) Bak Kut Teh

Address:Leong Kee Rating Meter

321 Beach Road
Kampong Glam Conservation Area
Singapore
Opening Hours: 11am - 9pm

 

It’s been a long time since I’d last had herbal clay pot bak kut teh, the heady aroma of stewing pork ribs in a clay pot is usually reserved for when I head north of the border to Jalan Imbi in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Since it has been a while since I’ve had the herbal clay pot style, I jumped at the opportunity to have it when a good friend of mine extend an invite out for lunch.  So off we bounded to Beach Road to Leong Kee’s Bak Kut Teh coffee house.

Nestled in Kampong Glam conservation area you’ll find Leong Kee; a quaint old coffee shop serving clay pot bak kut teh.  For those of you who are wondering what the difference is between the Singapore and Malaysia pork rib soup here’s the break down:

Country

Pork Type Soup Type Additional Ingredients
Singapore Short Rib, Whole Rib Clear, Garlic and Pepper base None
Malaysia Short Rib Thicker Herbal base Bean curd skin, Mushrooms, Chye sim.  Served in a clay pot

After a short wait it finally came, a smoking hot pot of pork short rib goodness, it smelled similar to those that I have in KL, though sadly it didn’t look as good as what I usually eat up north, but beggars cannot be choosers (it is really hard to find Malaysian style bak kut teh in Singapore). 

So with chopsticks in hand I began to take my portion from the clay pot.  My mouth started to salivate, I think my lunch company could see I was getting excited!

The perfect condiments to Bak Kut Teh

The soup was not quite as velvety as what I’m use to having and the contents of the clay pot a left me looking for more, but on the whole it still was rather tasty, a good detour from the pepper with pork ribs that I am used to eating here.

I finished off the meal with some stewed pork leg.  This was I have to say was disappointing, there was way too much oil, despite it being a lean pork leg and the sauce was lacking sufficient soya sauce.  One other little gripe that I had with the place was the service; sure it’s not a Michelin Star restaurant, but please ensure that you know what the table had ordered and what was already paid for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails