Sin Ming Cookhouse / Bakery / Whatever
What’s a boy to do when he is stuck at home with a large chicken and a can of beer? Why not try cooking beer can chicken! I heard of this concept many a time but I’d never tried cooking it due to a perception that it was too difficult to do.. how mistaken I was.
After doing some research I managed to find a few recipes online and I kinda took a hybrid of 3, so without further adieu here’s the recipe for beer can chicken:
- 1 Can of Malted Beer (more malty the better the flavor)
- 1 Medium to Large Chicken
- Thoroughly clean the chicken
- Wash and pat dry (inside and out)
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius
- Season the inside cavity with salt and pepper
- Empty 1/4 of the can of beer into a glass
- Add 1/2 a table spoon of salt and 1/2 a tablespoon of pepper to the open beer can
- With the beer can upright insert it to the cavity of the chicken and ensure the chicken and beer can remain upright ( If you need to help prop up the chicken insert soaked skewers)
- Place in baking tray and season the outside of the chicken with salt and pepper then coat with olive oil
- Roast in the oven at 160 degrees Celsius for 90 minutes continually basting chicken with olive oil and remaining beer
I took the drippings and remaining beer to make gravy. Simply add the remaining 1/4 can of beer to roasting tray drippings to a small pan and stir, to thicken add flour.
I also cooked some simple backed potato scallops in cream and garlic; basically thinly slice potatoes, cook up some cream with salt, pepper and chopped garlic. Add the cooked sauce to the potatoes and bake for 20 minutes!
Bon Appétit – Sidney