My Elastic Pants Headlines

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Mother Goose

Sin Ming Cookhouse / Bakery / Whatever

It’s not every day one gets to have in their possession whole raw/uncooked foie gras.  I was lucky enough to be given some from one of the chaps who I play tennis with (thanks again Francis).  I was on my way home from picking up the foie gras, I kept looking in the bag and my stomach keep crying to eat so after much deliberation when I got home I decided to give cooking it a try.

It’s been almost 6 years since I last cooked it at home and during that time I was under the tutelage of Chef Bansani it’s all well and good having a master chef besides you telling you what to do, when no one is there to hold you hand it all of sudden becomes a whole different ball game.

I opted to cook the foie gras using two different methods; one with it dusted in flour, salt and pepper, the other without the flour.  Also new to the game was my Le Creuset skillet, perfect tool for searing the foie gras!

Foie Gras – Prepared 2 ways

Ingredients

  • 2 pieces of Foie Gras cut into 2cm thick slices
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Corn flour

Directions

  1. Place foie gras in freezer for 10-15 minutes, you want these babies cold, you’ll be searing straight after dusting/salting!
  2. In a dusting tray add 2 tablespoons of corn flour, salt and pepper
  3. Place 1 piece of foie gras into the tin and dust liberally

  1. Take the second piece of foie gras add salt and pepper to both sides

  1. Ensure your skillet is hot, place one piece of foie gras into the pan.  If you do not hear the foie gras sizzle take it off immediately.  The key here is to sear the outside of the foie gras to get it nice and crunchy while the inside is “medium-rare”
  1. Cook the foie gras for 1 minute each side.  There is no need to oil the pan, you’ll get yourself lots of lovely goose fat from the foie gras.  Ensure you apply a little extra salt to the foie gras
  2. Remove from the pan and leave it to rest for 2-3 minutes

Balsamic Reduction

Ingredients

  • 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
  • 2-3 tablespoons of sugar

Directions

  1. Heat balsamic vinegar in pot until it starts to simmer
  2. Add sugar one spoonful at a time and stir until liquid reduces to a point where it sticks to the back of a spoon

To plate, add the foie gras to the plate and drizzle the balsamic sauce over the foie gras, I ate mine with some oven baked ciabatta.. yum!

Oh and for the record, I prefer having the foie gras unfloured!

Bon Appétit – Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails