Sin Ming Cookhouse / Bakery / Whatever
Sticky Date Pudding
- 200g pitted dried dates, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 60g butter, softened
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups self-raising flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced oven). Grease a 6cm-deep, 18cm (base) round cake pan.
- Place dates and bicarbonate of soda in a heatproof bowl. Add boiling water.
- Stand for 20 minutes or until tender.
- Beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add eggs (1 at a time), beating well after each addition.
- Using a large metal spoon, stir in date mixture and flour. Stir to combine.
- Spoon mixture into cake pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Stand for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack.
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup pure cream
- 100g butter, chopped
- To make the butterscotch sauce: Combine sugar, cream and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until boiling.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 minutes. Pour warm sauce over warm cake
Bon Appétit – Sidney