My Elastic Pants Headlines

Friday, April 15, 2011

Crispy Porky

Babi Guling

In the words of a balding yellow cartoon character “Mmmm… Hog Fat” that was what came to mind when I was given a parcel of Babi Guling from a friend of mine working in Bali.

Having never tried the dish before I was warned that it was going to be extremely spicy but all I could smell was a divine aroma from the waxed paper container it was wrapped in; I knew it was going to taste wonderful even if I’d be breathing fire!

When in Bali tourists tend to make a B-line to Ibu Oka at Ubud. However under the advice of my chef friend and a few local inhabitants of the Ubud area we  opted for another stall which is near the local Ubud market.

Sow hat is babi guling?  Essentially it’s suckling pork that is mixed and chopped up with a variety of herbs and spices that explode in your mouth.  Because it’s a suckling pig the meat is tender and juicy; ideal for soaking up all the aromatic flavors, combined with the crunchy skin it really is heavenly!

Oh how I wished that I had ordered more of this.  Can you believe that even after 2 days the skin was still crunchy!  All that it needed was a little reheating!  According to the Chili Padi the stuff that we bought was a lot less saltier than the babi guling at Ibu Oka.  Oh by the way.. I didn’t find it spicy at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails