My Elastic Pants Headlines

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bulalo – Bone Marrow Soup

@Sin Ming Cook House / Bakery / Whateva

It’s been a while since I got back to my roots and cooked some Filipino food.  One of my favorite dishes when I was growing up with marrow bone soup or bulalo (thanks Anne Nolasco for helping me find the recipe name).  I used to remember mom making this on a cold winters day; armed with a 1/2 filled bowl of rice I’d make them all swim in a sea of sweet marrow bone soup!

Anyways here’s the soup for the Bulao. Unfortunately at the time of me cooking the recipe I forgot to get myself some corn and choko (you can also use potato as my mom does if the chokos are not available).

Bulalo

IMG_0203Bulalo – Comfort Food 

Ingredients

  • 2 Osso bucco pieces (add more if you like)
  • 4-5 Meat Soup Bones
  • 1 onion quartered
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 5 cloves of garlic
  • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 2 Tablespoon patis (fish sauce)
  • 1 Tomato (chopped)
  • Salt to taste
  • 2 cobs of corn cut into 4 segments
  • 1 choko (chayote) peeled and cubed
  • 3 baby bok choy, leaves separated
  • 5 leaves of Chinese Wong Bok sliced
  • Handful of beans

Directions

  1. In a pot of boiling water place soup bones and osso bucco for 10 mins, drain and remove scum that rises to the surface, then rinse with cold water
  2. Place the quartered onion, tomato, pepper, 3 cloves of garlic,  soup bones and osso bucco in a slow cooker and fill with water.  Simmer on low for 6-8 hours
  3. Add salt to season
  4. Dice and sauté remaining 2 cloves of garlic with 2 table spoons of olive oil in a medium to large soup pot
  5. Add osso bucco and sear
  6. Carefully gradually pour stock from the slow cooker into the soup pot, add corn and potatoes and simmer for 20 minutes
  7. Season soup with salt/patis to taste
  8. 5 minutes to serving add remaining vegetables

IMG_0204  Bone Marrow – Yum Yum Yum!

Of course, sadly it’s not the same as my mom’s but well its good enough to make me smile thinking of my childhood back in Sydney; especially since it’s been raining of late here in Singapore!

IMG_0205Meat so tender, it’s falling off the bone

Bon Appétit – Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails