@ Sin Ming Cook House / Bakery / Whateva
When you’re not feeling ‘top of the world’ nothing helps better than a nice hearty bowl of soup, and what better way to enjoy a nice hot bowl of cream of mushroom soup than from within an edible bread bowl.
Having never really made cream of mushroom soup from scratch before I decided to scour my recipe books and online recipes for help. I managed to find this from about.com.
So with ingredients on hand I began my journey to the land of mushroom soup.
- 4 Tablespoons butter, divided use
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper, or to taste
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) chicken broth
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Clean mushrooms with a mushroom brush or damp paper towel. Cut half of the mushrooms into slices. Chop the remainder.
- Melt half of the butter in a large saucepan and saute sliced mushrooms until golden. Remove and reserve sliced mushrooms.
- Add remaining butter to the same pan, along with the chopped mushrooms and sweet onions.
- Sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring often, until onion is soft.
- Return sliced mushrooms to the pan. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly about 2 minutes, until smooth.
- Slowly add chicken broth while stirring. Simmer, stirring often, until thickened. Add nutmeg and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning, if need be.
- Take round bread and slice off the top 1-2 inches from the top of the bun
- Hollow out the inside of the base until a thin wall of white bread remains
- Roughly chop the extracted white portions
- Place bun and chopped white portions onto a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10-15 mins at 180 degrees Celsius
- Add heavy cream to soup and bring to a simmer. (Do not boil.) Ladle into bread bowl and garnish with chopped parsley and croutons (roasted white portions of bun).