My Elastic Pants Headlines

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Glazed Over

@ Sin Ming Cook House / Bakery / Whateva

I was reading through my past posts and I noticed that hey I’ve not put up a fish recipe.  Fish is always a fishy subject, being here in Asia most of the fish one eats is usually fried or steamed.  I found a recipe from a “Food & Travel” magazine the other day that looked really really simple.  So being the lazy cook that I am I decided to give this a try (that and the fact that I’ve a tub of miso sitting in the fridge!)

I also decided to include with this dish some olive rice and blanched veggies to go with the food and since I had some spare time I tried my hand at some creative plating.

Glazed Miso Cod with Blanched Vegetables and Olive Rice

Miso Glazed Cod - Ingredients

Ingredients

  • 450g Boneless cod fillet
  • 200g Yellow miso
  • 100g Sugar
  • 1 cup Mirin
  • 1 cup Sake
  • 1 clove Garlic (grated)
  • 1 Piece of Ginger (thumb-sized)

Directions

  1. Remove skin from cod and set aside
  2. Mix miso, sugar, mirin, sake, garlic and ginger in a bowl
  3. Rub paste / soak cod in marinade and leave overnight in the fridge
  4. When ready to cook scrape off paste and place fillets on baking tray with greaseproof paper
  5. Bake for 12-15 minutes in oven preheated at 200 degrees Celsius, until cod is cooked through
  6. Heavily salt skin and dry fry until crispy
  7. Take 2-3 ladles of stock and reduce over heat

Glaze Miso Cod

For the blanched vegetables I used baby corn, snow peas and French beans; simply whack them into a pot of boiling water for 1-2 minutes then strain and throw them into another pot of iced water so as to retain their color and crispness.

I used some wild mushrooms that were heavily salted and oven baked for 10 minutes to help add a little salt and additional flavor to the vegetables.

The olive rice was a very simple affair; precooked rice lightly fried using the excess fish oil from shallow frying the cod skin then adding chopped black olives; see nothing went to waste.  I used a ice cream scoop to shape the rice on the plate.  To top off the rice I added the smallest sprinkle of truffle salt.

Bon Appétit – Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails