My Elastic Pants Headlines

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Pears on Booze

@ Sin Ming Cook House / Bakery / Whateva

One of my earliest memories I have of my sister cooking something ‘exotic’ was when she did pears in wine.  Well it’s taken me over a decade to get my act together, but here is my first attempt at making Pears in Red wine.  Needless to say both my sister and I have on well beyond making drunken pears, but it’s always great to remember your roots!

I took this recipe from About.com and it was submitted by Stacy Slinkard.  I have modified it a little to suit my own creative taste.

Red Wine Pears - Ingredients

Red Wine Poached Pears

  1. 4-6 Peeled, Cored Pears
  2. 1 1/2 cups of red wine (recommend Zinfandel, Shiraz or Merlot)
  3. 3/4 cups of granulated sugar
  4. 2 Tablespoons of lemon juice (can also add lemon zest if desired)
  5. 1 teaspoon vanilla*
  6. 1 cinnamon stick*

Directions:

  • Combine all ingredients, except pears, and bring to a boil.
  • Break the cinnamon sticks and place in each de-cored pear.
  • Once the wine mixture is boiling, turn heat down to a simmer and add the pears.
  • Simmer pears for 10-12 minutes and then turn pears and simmer for an additional 8-10 minutes - until they are tender and are easily poked through with a fork.
  • Remove pears and let them cool. Boil wine sauce until the liquid has been reduced by half.
  • Pour sauce over pears.

Pears in Red Wine - Final

You can accompany this with a dollop of ice-cream or some freshly whipped cream.  I love it just the way it is!

Bon Appétit – Sidney

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails