My Elastic Pants Headlines

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Chunky Monkey This is Not

@ Sin Ming Cook House / Bakery / Whateva

Sarah my mini schnauzer has a very big fan base; I dare say more fans than I have readers to my food blog.  Littlest of them all is Kate a absolutely cute and adorable almost 5 year old girl.  Well Kate had not seen her 4 legged friend for almost a year; time enough to invite her and her parents over for a feed and of course to see little Sarah.

P1010445

I decided to try and whip something up from http://www.taste.com.au one of the many sites I like to visit for ideas on what to cook.  After 4 days of deliberating between: roast leg of lamb, roasted chicken, fish with pasta I finally decided on trying the Pork with Fresh Pea Chutney recipe.

Pork with Fresh Pea Chutney (taken from http://www.taste.com.au)

Pork and Peach Chutney-ingredients

  • 4 pork butterfly steaks
  • 1/2 cup Chinese barbecue marinade
  • 2 tbs olive oil
  • 1 onion*, sliced (*I actually used 1/2 an onion, not too much of an onion fan)
  • 2 tsp yellow mustard seeds
  • 1 small red chilli, seeded, sliced
  • 2 tsp ground Szechuan pepper
  • 4 fresh peaches, roughly chopped
  • 1 tbs white wine vinegar
  • 2 tbs brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup peach jam (no added sugar)
  • Steamed basmati rice and coriander leaves, to serve (for my recipe I actually used Fragrant Jasmine rice cooked in Coconut milk for a little added flavor)

Directions

  1. Brush pork with marinade and place in fridge
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium heat, add onion and cook 1-2 minutes until softened
  3. Add mustard seeds and stir until they begin to pop, then add chili, Szechuan pepper, peach, vinegar, sugar and jam. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes until thickened. Cool
  4. Heat a lightly oiled char grill pan or fry pan over high heat and cook pork 1-2 minutes each side or until cooked through
  5. Serve with chutney and rice and garnish with coriander leaves.

Pork and Peach Chutney-finaleThe with the coconut milk incorporated into the rice it made it a little easier to shape/mould (and taste a whole lot better).  I also added some eggplant as well and layered some of the rice in between to look something like a Maki sushi roll!

Bon Appétit – Sidney

LiveJournal Tags: ,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails