@ Sin Ming Cook House / Bakery / Whateva
I’ve always had the notion that if ever you’re stuck thinking what to cook next Chicken is always a fail safe fall back backup dish; which is why I ordinarily have at least some pieces of chicken in my freezer. Yesterday I was totally uninspired to cook; being down with a very bad case of a blocked/runny nose didn’t help the cause too much. Anyways I was looking around the net and some of my cookbooks what to cook and I found this recipe from http://www.epicurious.com. Unfortunately though I didn’t have all the ingredients but here none the less is my ad-lib version of the recipe:
Braised Chicken with Tomatoes and Olives (Poulet Provencal) (Adapted from http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Braised-Chicken-with-Tomatoes-and-Olives-em-Poulet-Provencal-em-241766#ixzz0hC6LgPvv)
- 600g tomatoes (3 to 4 medium), cut into wedges
- 3-4 small red onions*
- 1/2 cup drained brine-cured black olives, pitted if desired
- 4 large garlic cloves, sliced, plus 1 teaspoon minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons thyme*
- 1/2 teaspoon star aniseed*
- 1 whole chicken
*those ingredients I substituted from the original recipe
- Preheat convection oven to 200°C for regular oven
- Toss together tomatoes, onion, olives, sliced garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon thyme, star aniseed, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 13- by 9-inch or other 3-quart shallow baking dish. Push vegetables to sides of dish to make room for chicken.
- Stir together minced garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, remaining thyme, and remaining tablespoon olive oil.
- Remove excess fat from chicken and pat dry, then rub outside with seasoning mixture.
- Stuff chicken with white button mushrooms and carrots
- Tie legs together with string, then put chicken in baking dish.
- Sprinkle a tiny amount of Truffle salt on the skin
- Roast for about 1 hour in convection oven; 1 to 1 1/4 hours in regular oven.
- Let chicken stand 10 minutes before carving. Serve with vegetables and pan juices