@ Sin Ming Cook House / Bakery / Whateva
I don’t really know what has possessed me of late to start cooking all over again but I have to say it’s not a bad thing. Here’s another quick and dirty recipe for those of you out there who have little time to worry about preparation, marinating and cooking.
I have to send a big shout out to my dad for this recipe and to mom for making me buy the Vegeta seasoning last November when I was back in Sydney for Anna and Ben’s wedding! I’ve improvised a little; as one tends to do but it tasted good none the less!
Baked Seasoned Chicken with Baked Brinjal and & White Oyster Mushrooms on Rice
What you will need to make the Baked Seasoned Chicken with Baked Brinjal & White Oyster Mushrooms on Rice are the following ingredients:
- Chicken thigh
- 1/4 Lemon
- Virgin olive oil
- White Oyster Mushrooms (as many as you desire)
- Chili powder (optional)
- Cooked white rice
- Sundried tomatoes to garnish (optional)
- Vegeta (see below)
Vegeta Seasoning – Available from most delicatessens
Do note here there is no need for salt, there’s plenty of that from the Vegeta* and the drippings will self sauce your mushrooms and brinjal during the cooking process (see told you it was easy).
*If you don’t have Vegeta you can substitute the seasoning with lemon pepper seasoning.
Now time for some action:
- Debone the chicken thigh (optional) and score the chicken with a knife
- Sprinkle 2-3 teaspoons of vegeta on each side of the thigh, ensuring it is covered, then set aside
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Cut brinjal into 2-3 cm thick pieces
- Line baking tray with foil and spray liberally olive oil and lay brinjal over the olive oil
- Sprinkle chili powder over brinjal
- Lay white oyster mushrooms over brinjal
- Lay chicken thigh over the mushrooms and squeeze 1/4 lemon over chicken
- Cook in oven for 20-25mins
And you’re done.
- Carefully lay brinjal around bed of rice
- Lay mushrooms over the rice then lay chicken on top of mushrooms
- Garnish with sun-dried tomatoes
Now with dinner out of the way it’s time to cook desert: Nutella and Banana Roti. This is a variation of a desert that I picked up while I was in Paris in 2005.
Nutella and Banana Roti
To make this sinful dish you’re gonna need to get your hands on the following:
- Instant Roti Prata / Crepes (available at your local supermarket/Asian grocery)
Now time for some action:
- Spread the nutella generously over the frozen prata
- Thinly slice banana into the sea of nutella
- Take a second piece of prata and cover the original piece to make a sandwich
- Press the two pieces firmly together
- Cook over fry pan (dry fry) until golden brown and crispy
What better way to spend the evening at home.. relaxing with a hearty meal after running around playing tennis for 2 hours!
Bon Appétit - Sidney